Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Review: Trendnet TK-210k 2-Port USB KVM with Audio

Introduction

When we decided to add an Apple Mac to our house we wanted to keep our existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The plan was to buy a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch that would let us easily switch between our Mac Mini and Dell PC while allowing us to share a single display, keyboard, and mouse. At first this seemed rather straightforward. I figured I could just fire up a browser and hit Newegg and problem solved, however this turned out to be a bit more difficult. Three reasons:
  • I added the additional requirement of sharing a pair of speakers between computers.
  • The Mac only accepts USB Mice and Keyboards.
  • Wanted an actual button on the KVM to switch between computers, not just hotkey switching.

So started my search. I managed to find several offerings from various vendors, but none of them meet all my requirements. They would have all the features I was looking for like support for USB Mice/Keyboards (out) and audio switching, but they would either not have a button for switching between computers or they would only support PS/2Mice/Keyboards (in) and they did USB emulation (out). When I just about gave up hope, I stumbled on to Trendnet's TK-210k 2-Port USB KVM with Audio. The user reviews on Newegg were mixed, but I decided to take a gamble. Here are my findings with a quick overview:

Features

  • Use one keyboard, monitor, and mouse to control two computers
  • PS/2 and USB Keyboard/Mouse emulations
  • 2-Port KVM Switch in compact size design
  • Built-in 2-Port USB 1.1 Hub for sharing USB devices
  • UHCI, OHCI USB interface support
  • Support very High Video Quality, up to 1920 x1440
  • Supports computers with Windows95/98/NT/ME/2000/XP, and Linux
  • Multi-platform support for PC and Macintosh G3 /G4 / iMac
  • Hot-Plug feature; add PCs or remove connected PCs for maintenance without powering down the KVM switch or other PCs
  • No software required, easy PC selection via Push Button or Hot-Keys
  • Auto-Scan Mode for monitoring PCs
  • LED display for easy status monitoring
  • Beeping sound for port switching confirmation
  • 2-Year Warranty

What's in the box

  • 2-Port KVM Switch in compact size design
  • Base stand for tower mode
  • User Guide
  • 2 x 3-in-1 KVM cable (male to male), 1.2 meters(4 feet)
  • 2 x USB A-B cable (male to male), 1.2 meters (4feet)
  • 2 x Audio+Microphone cable, 1.2 meters (4 feet)

Hooking it up

Hooking things up was pretty straightforward. I connected the VGA cable from my LCD monitor to the back of the KVM into the connector labeled "MONITOR". Then I connected the Mac and PCs video out with the supplied VGA cables to the KVM's connectors respectively labeled "VGA 1" and "VGA 2". Followed by connecting the supplied USB and Audio cables between the back of the KVM and computers. Finally I connected my speakers to the Audio out connector below the connector labeled monitor and finished by connecting a USB keyboard and mouse to the USB connectors in the front of the unit labeled "DEVICE 1" and "DEVICE 2".

Testing it out

Switching

So once everything was hooked up I tested my keyboard and mouse on my PC. The KVM indicated that computer 1 was selected (My PC), everything appeared to work correctly. So I hit the button on the KVM labeled "2" and expected everything to switch over to my Mac, but I quickly discovered that wasn't the case. The video and audio switched, but my USB keyboard and Monitor didn't. I pressed the '2' button again and the keyboard and mouse became active. A quick look through the manual (yes, it helps to actually read the manual) showed that the video, audio, and PS/2 keyboard and mice switch independently from the USB devices. There is an option to enable "binding" which synchronizing the switching of USB devices and everything else. This is exactly what I wanted. To enable 'binding" you use the hotkey sequence of "ScrLk + ScrLk + Z". I performed the sequence and tested again, but same problem. I eventually discovered that hotkeys are not supported if you are using a USB keyboard, they are only supported when using a PS/2 keyboard. I hooked up a PS/2 adaptor to my keyboard and plugged it back into the KVM and performed the hotkey sequence again. It worked! Everything was synchronizing and I was able to switch back and forth between the Mac and PC. I discovered an additional problem while I was doing some testing. This device receives it power from the USB interface from the computers and it doesn't store any setting you apply through hotkeys. If the device loses power (shutdown down both computers will cause this) and you are using a USB keyboard you will need to reconnect a PS/2 keyboard to perform the hotkey sequence again to enable "binding". This problem can be remedied by purchasing the Optional 9V DC, 500mA Adapter which will supply power to the device even if both computers are powered down.

Video Quality

Since DVI KVMs were price prohibitive (about 3x the cost of a VGA KVM) I decided to get a VGA KVM. I wasn't expecting the video to be all that great, but I was pleasantly surprised. No visible signs of ghosting, washed out colors, or artifacts. In addition VGA KVMs support higher resolutions than DVI KVMs (DVI1600 x 1200 vs. VGA 1920 x1440). This means you can get a Dell 24" wide screen LCD and use it with this KVM.

Audio

I don't exactly have the best computer speakers, but I was pleased with what I heard. No noticeable noise or distortion. I don't believe that anything over 2-channel audio is supported through this switch. I might be wrong. I did not see anything in the documentation to indicate that it did or didn't and since I don't own a surround PC speaker set I was unable to conduct a test for multi-channel audio.

Conclusion

Despite some hurdles I had getting this KVM working I'm overall pleased. It works good and I haven't noticed any mouse or keyboard lag while using a USB keyboard/mouse. A nice side effect of this KVM is it combines the keyboard/mouse into a single USB interface. This means that I now have one USB cable connected to my computers for a keybord/mouse instead of 2. This saves me an extra USB port. For those that have a PS/2 keyboard and mouse this KVM will emulate USB (convert); therefore you can use a PC keyboard/mouse with a Mac. My only real grip with this device is inability to switch between computers using Hotkeys while using a USB keyboard. This isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me because I wanted a button on the KVM for switching, but it would be nice if it supported both. There are a couple other options for those who want a KVM with similar features as this one and would rather have hotkey switching instead of KVM button switching. Belkin and IOGear both make such devices.

Pros:
  • Supports USB and PS/2 keyboards/mice with emulation
  • Audio and Microphone switching
  • KVM push button switching
  • Good video quality
  • No USB keyboard/mouse lag
  • Consolidates mouse/keyboard USB interface into single connector.
Cons:
  • Doesn't come with power supply (optional)
  • No support for hotkey switching when using a USB keyboard

Verdict

Rating :

Click to Digg this Article

5 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

Good suggestion, will do.

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Review, but one thing (and hopfully you can get an answer soon, maybe by email to alan awt ufies dawt org) you didn't mention was the usb sharing that this has. If I'm reading the feature sheets right, it's only usb 1.1, not usb2, which means that getting data from my cf card reader will be horribly slow. Am I right?

Also, do you know if it's possible to plug in a USB hub into one of the sharing ports and share 4 or 8 usb devices?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Kevin said...

You are right it does support USB 1.1 device sharing. That is how I'm able to share my USB keyboard and mouse between two computers. If I used a PS/2 keyboard/mouse I could share two USB 1.1 devices between computers in addition to the keyboard/mouse. I'm not sure if this KVM will work with a HUB if you try sharing USB devices. Good question though. Unforuntatly I'm not able to test that with my current configuration.

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice review.

Can you use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse with this KVM? I know that many of the KVMs will not work with wireless keyboards.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger K and As Mom said...

Your trick of scr-lock, scr-lock, z saved me! I was going crazy trying to figure out why my switch sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Phew! What a releif! (I have the switch at work and no manual).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home